The xx

Over the weekend, I decided to give this band known as The xx another spin. 2 Fridays ago I heard the DJ at Home Club play one of their numbers (I think it was "Basic Space"). I actually first got to know about them when they opened for Florence & The Machine in February 2010. Didn't know anything about them before then, but when they opened with "Intro", I suddenly felt like I was getting high on their aural emissions. Same feeling I had when I first watched Mogwai performing in Singapore in 2006. The feeling that let's you drift in your seat, actually chilling out with your feet on your chair, with not a care in the world.

Now, while there are 2 vocalists in The xx, I'd have to say that the voice of Romy Madley Croft steals the moment everytime. She reminds me of the female lead vocalist, Tracey Thorn, from Everything But The Girl - beautiful vocals, low, smooth and rhythmic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-u9ezLmjBSs&feature=related

The guitar riffs sent me back to the time when Chris Isaak first burst into the scene with his number "Wicked Game" - a time when when I fell in love with the drifting, lush sounds of the weeping guitar on top of a high hilltop down to the world where people are standing around listening.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-oaHHrNQVrg

Interestingly enough, for both songs, the bass guitar plays a big role, almost leading the beats, with the drums and guitar as accompaniments.

All right, that's it for now.

No comments: