Welcome back, Miss Pessimist

Yes, yes I know, I know.It's been almost 2 years since I've last written here - so much has happened since my last entry though, mostly an emotional rollercoaster ride that I prefer not to put up on this blog. The emotions are meant for my other blog, which I have closed for the time being.

3 weeks ago I almost had a free ticket to preview
this movie but never got around to it since my friend Vernon said the movie distributors suddenly decided not to bring the movie to cinemas here. I was so excited about watching the movie version of Freakonomics (which I remember V introducing me to it in 2007) that I almost peed my pants. I kid you not. It is such a pity though - clearly the media authorities here don't think Singaporeans are smart enough to grasp the concepts laid out by Levitt and Dubner.

This was the same case with "Where the Wild Things Are" which was also supposed to be released in cinemas here last year but got scrapped by distributors because, they claimed, it wasn't the sort of film that could rake in the Singapore dollar by the millions. And why wouldn't it be able to do that? Because it was considered too "deep" and/or complex for Singaporeans in general.

Caught a musical with a good friend yesterday afternoon and then we had some beers after at Harry's Bar at the Esplanade. As usual, I required a smoking table, but just as we were about to sit, little droplets of rain started to fall - we were sitting at an unsheltered table. Well the good friend suggested I have one cigarette since the rain wasn't at all heavy, and while we sat in the slight drizzle, drinking our beer and cider (mixed in with a little rainwater I suppose) and catching up, that very scenario reminded me of Ian McKellen and and Brendan Frasier in the movie Gods & Monsters, when James Whale (McKellen) says to Clay (Frasier) just before running into the rain,"We are not made of sugar, we won't melt!"

Oh bugger.

No comments: